This afternoon, the Calgary Police knocked on several residents doors on the 400 block of 48th Avenue SW in Elboya to try and determine if anyone has video of an 8-year old girl who was walking west yesterday on the 400 block of 48th Avenue SW. The police told at least one resident that the attempted abduction occurred between 4:30 pm and 5:15 pm yesterday, September 22.
- The 8-year girl has brown hair and was wearing grey pants and a black shirt.
- Any information or video footage from the community should be sent to POL5384@calgarypolice.ca
- The note below went out to parents whose children attend Elboya School.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This letter is to inform you of a recent incident involving one of our students.
It was reported to the school today that on Wednesday, September 22 around 5:00 pm, an elementary grade student was walking on 4A Street between 54 and 55 Avenue when a man approached the student and forced her into a blue-coloured van. The student yelled and kicked until she was released from the van on 47 Avenue and 4 Street in Elboya.
The suspect is reported to have driven away. The student went home and called 911.
The school was made aware of the situation today and we have connected with the Calgary Police Services.
We wanted to inform you so that together, we can all work to ensure the safety of our students.
Teachers will continue to review the safety strategies below with our students. Parents are encouraged to review these with their children as well.
- Walk with a friend or travel to and from school in a group.
- Tell your parents or a teacher if you see anything that makes you feel unsafe.
- Don’t talk to strangers and stay 2m away.
- Do not go anywhere with anyone you do not know (in a car or on foot).
- If someone you don’t know approaches you, run the other way even if the person claims to know you or your parents.
- If a stranger makes an attempt to grab you, pull away and yell “help, this is not my parent”. Move quickly away from the person.
If students or parents witness any suspicious person(s), please contact police by calling 911.
The school is taking every step possible to keep our students safe. If you have further questions about this, please contact me at the school at 403-777-7760.
4804 6 St SW Calgary, AB T2S 2N3 403-777-7760