Then and Now

October 23, 2020 5:11 PM | Anonymous


that before the Glenmore Dam was built in the 1930s, the lower Elbow River, by Elbow Drive and 30th Avenue SW, was full and clear enough to become one of Calgary’s biggest swimming holes, second in attendance only to the Bowness Lagoon? Developed by William Reader, Calgary’s inaugural Parks Superintendent (1913-42), the swimming facility was the first of its kind, and certainly the first to have what today still stands -- a change room/warming shack. (The swimming hole served as a skating rink in winter). Designated a Municipal Historic resource in 2014, the building is an example of ‘vernacular’ architecture, as demonstrated by its narrow bevelled wood siding, wood shingle roof, its multi-paned fixed windows, and its separate women’s and men’s entrances.

(Source: City of Calgary Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources)

History of Elbow Park

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software